Umeå Biotech Incubator invites the best startup companies from the Nordic life science scene to show off their ideas for hundreds of investors.
Startup Challenge is a pitch-event during Nordic Life Science Days (NLSDays) at Stockholm Waterfront, where the best startup companies from the Nordic life science scene get the chance to show off their ideas for hundreds of investors. This year the event is being organised by Umeå Biotech Incubator and preparations are in full swing.
How does it feel that Umeå Biotech Incubator was given the honour of organising this year’s Startup Challenge?
– Really great! We hope it will turn out to be a good concept and we’re working hard to get companies from all the Nordic countries to register, says Jennie Ekbeck, Umeå Biotech Incubator CEO.
How’s the planning going?
– It’s going well and according to plan. Right now we’re trying to reach out to all companies that might want to participate, that is to say many exciting startups, says Helén Fält, coach at Umeå Biotech Incubator.
What is Startup Challenge?
– It’s a pitch competition where companies are given the opportunity to present themselves in front of a large and extremely interested audience. We have a great many good companies in the Nordic region but not many occasions where they have the chance to show themselves off in front of a large audience. Through Startup Challenge, we can show investors what good startups there are that can later generate great products and services for health and medical care, Jennie Ekbeck goes on.
Who can apply and what is required of them?
– There are certain criteria that all companies need to comply with. If everything is in order they need a great idea, a pitch and a fairly simple mobile camera. To take part in the competition, the company records its pitch and submits the video to a jury, who then score all the entries. The 12 entries with the highest scores go forward to the final in Stockholm, says Helén Fält.
What can the participants and visitors expect?
– Startup Challenge is a great opportunity for the contestants to polish their pitch, get good publicity, forge new valuable contacts, and have the opportunity to show off their companies for investors. The winner will also get a company presentation at next year’s NLSDays, says Jennie Ekbeck.
– Investors and other visitors will see some super pitches from 12 exciting companies and will also choose the winner, says Helén Fält.
What would you say to those who have not yet decided to send in their pitch?
– Don’t hesitate! It’s easy to register and it might lead to something big! If you need investment, collaborators and publicity, it’s an excellent opportunity, Jennie Ekbeck rounds off.
Registration is open until May 16th. Learn more about Startup Challenge and how to register here.
- Your company is not older then 8 years (counting from official registration).
- Your company have not attracted more than 2 million Euro in total financing.
- Your comapny is a privately-owned company.
- Your company is registered in one of the Nordic countries (Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland or Iceland).
- Your company must be active within life science (pharma, medtech/diagnosics, E-health or other).
- Your company has not participated in last year’s Startup Challenge @NLSDays (the pitch contest).
- Your company has a representative who is available to attend the event on the 10th of September 2018 at Waterfront Stockholm if your company are selected for the live pitch final.