Mobile World Congress is one of Europe’s hottest technology fairs. Among the attendees at this year’s fair were several startup companies from Umeå, who went to establish contacts for international business.
Mobile World Congress in Barcelona recently attracted 107,000 participants from 205 countries to Barcelona to take advantage of the latest developments in mobile technology, 5G, artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things (IoT).
In attendance, Uminova Innovation and the Enterprise Europe Network (EEN) brought with them several startup companies from Umeå to make new contacts and gain experience in international business.
We asked some of the participants about three of their best highlights from the fair, and to answer the question: what are you taking home from Mobile World Congress?
Pontus Kressner, Smartvideo and Servicenode
- I’m coming home with a large bundle of business cards from potential customers and partners. The whole industry meets at Mobile World Congress which makes it a perfect opportunity for networking.
- Trend observations about what happens next. Partly on a higher level in terms of technology switches like 5G, but above all industry-specific trends that will be of great use.
- Gratitude towards Uminova Innovation for supporting entrepreneurial companies like ours by organizing activities like this!
Desiree Rova, GladaPar
- Women 4 Tech Tour – really good and inspiring! It was awesome how women have started to affect the tech world! One example was Visa, which replaced cards with jewelry.
- IBM – affect the content of the movie. They gave a sense of what will happen in the future and how we must adapt to the next generation’s habits and behavior.
- The networking! Uminova Innovation who arranged this amazing opportunity! Thank you very much!
Jonathan Jehander, BriXtar
- An expanded network! I have roughly 30 new contacts on LinkedIn and my colleagues probably have at least as many. Some contacts we will have immediate dialogue with after the fair, such as Scanvid – a German company whose product can identify goods and objects with the help of machine learning – and some may be valuable later on.
- Valuable input about our business concept. For example, the guy from California who wants to continue the dialogue with us about creating a White Label product inspired by the platform we have developed.
- New insights. We were impressed in particular by the “App Planet” where hundreds of app companies presented their business ideas. How they had customized their products also gave us insights into how to tweak and customize BriXtar.
Martin Klosstedt, BriXtar
- Networking with many new established LinkedIn contacts. The mingle on Monday evening was of the highest class, with established contacts that can help us expand within our relevant markets as well as potential investors. EEN (Enterprise Europe Network) and Berlin Partner provide opportunities for help with expansion in Germany. Great opportunity with new contacts that we will now follow up.
- Commitment! The commitment and drive that Uminova Innovation has to help us find relevant meetings. Extra big thanks to Peter Bäckström at EEN!
- The fair gave us contacts in growth hacking on App Planet. One-on-one meetings where some can help us solve two business critical issues. In summary, the networking has now opened up great opportunities for us, which we now have to work to capitalize on.
Robert Winter, Elastisys
- Good meetings with partners and new potential customers.
- New contacts and extended networks.
- Expanded understanding of the ecosystem and where opportunities exist for us..