The Startup Program
The Startup Program is for people who can’t stop pondering about a business idea and want help in developing it. You may be a researcher or a student at Umeå University, or one of the university colleges, or you may come from a different background altogether.
The program runs for three months, twice per year, starting in February and September. You are allotted one or a couple of business developers, get a crash course in Lean Startup and Customer Development, and are handed the tools to quickly and efficiently test your idea on potential customers.
During six workshops you will gain a deeper understanding of Lean methodology, how to identify and segment your customers, how to verify your business idea, become a better sales person, create a scalable business model, succeed in pitching and find smart financing. We invite guest lecturers that give valuable feedback and inspiration. In between meetings you are expected to work on your business idea on your own.
Demo Day is the grand finale for the Startup Program, where you have the chance to win stipends of a total of 50 000 SEK (from Nordea) as you and your fellow startup participants compete in a pitch competition in front of an audience and a jury. Our business developers help you to prepare for the challenge.
The program is held in English, however if all participants are Swedish speakers we speak Swedish at our meetings.
Equivalent services and support are worth hundreds of thousands SEK on the market, but thanks to our financiers and partners they are free of charge for the participating companies.
Apply if you
- Have a business idea that addresses a problem and has potential to grow on a market
- Are able to dedicate time and energy to the program
- Have drive and enthusiasm to follow through
- Have a genuine desire to learn, evolve, and get feedback.
- Support and help from experienced business developers
- A crash course in Lean Startup and Customer Development
- Workshops on themes such as how to identify and segment your customers, how to verify your business idea, become a better sales person, create a scalable business model, succeed in pitching, how to find smart financing, etcetera
- Inspiration from experts and entrepreneurs that have made it (and sometimes failed)
- A startup family and fellowship together with the other participants
- Access to our premises and our extensive networks.
Apply to the Startup Program fall 2018
You can now apply to the Startup Program fall 2018. If you have an innovative business idea that you need help to develop – don´t hesitate, apply. Your application could be the start of an exciting journey as an entrepreneur.
Program content fall 2018
How to test your idea. On why you should work Lean with the customer in focus, and how to do this.
September 20-21, from 12:00 pm to 12 pm the day after
Who’s the customer? Absolute focus on the customer from day 1. Who are they? What do they want?
September 27, 1:00-5:00 pm
Get out of the building! It is all about understanding your customers’ wants and needs, and how they make decisions. Get out and find out.
October 11, 1:00-5:00 pm
How to make money. We challenge your business model.
October 25, 1:00-5:00 pm
The perfect pitch. The formula and how to deliver that awesome pitch.
November 7, 1:00-5:00 pm
Find the right financing. Financing for your business idea.
November 22, 1:00-5:00 pm
A pitch competition in front of an audience and a jury and a total of 50 000 SEK in stipends from Nordea.
Time and date are coming shortly!
For more information about the Startup Program, contact Hillevi Lindelöf.